Tuesday, October 03, 2006

KHADIJATERI

I am a constant reader of KhadijaTeri blog http://khadijateri.blogspot.com/. I believe KhadijaTeri made a great effort, more than many Libyans, to introduce Libya to the outside world. Her pictures in flickr and her writings in her blog plus her general profile of Libya in her web site http://www.khadijateri.com/ is a great work about Libya I hope many appreciate. On the other side, she inspired many Libyans to start blogging and flickring – if I may say so –, myself included.
Last week she wrote about her trip with her family to Gharian and presented some beautiful pictures. I saw the primary school that I went to for one year during the fifties, is still there.
Gharian, from my childhood, is a beautiful memory of Assida عصيدة with sheep butter, of delicious figs, peaches, and vineyards. We used to live in a big underground house, warm in winter and cool in summertime. I remember vaguely of one year, before coming down to live in Tripoli, when it snowed to about two meters in height, or was it my childhood imagination? However, I guess they call that the Year of the Snow عام الثلج .
Then my family moved down to Tripoli but we kept going back to Gharian periodically especially during summertime. That’s how Abughilan got imprinted in my memory. The old road that comes up from Wadi Al Hirra to Gharian was very treacherous and dangerous. When two trucks meet each other in one of those corners one of them has to stop. And in one of those corners, a cousin of mine who was working as an assistant to an Italian truck driver got killed in a car accident. The car was thrown off the road and right down to the deep valley. The Italian driver was not killed because I remember him coming to the funeral.
Few years ago I drove to Gharian with my family to visit a sister who moved back to live there and took them to visit the school near the Italian church of Tegrenna and the underground house where I lived my primary years. The school is still in operation and the house is still there unkempt and in a form of destruction. Underground, where people used to live, somebody is raising some sheep.
The upper ground, that includes the yard, the staples, the outer rooms, the water wells and the surrounding wall of the yard are in bad shape. Just in front of the main gate of the yard, a highway goes by. I guess one day it will be covered, demolished and claimed by the community.
And progress goes on!
Thank you again KhadijaTeri.

7 comments:

KhadijaTeri said...

You're welcome... and thank you for your kind words!

10860 nights of Tripoli said...

very nice blog , me too Khadija teri was my inspiration when i start bloggin' .. keep posting

10860 nights of Tripoli said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Omar Gheriani said...

Thanks Khdijateri...Thanks Aladdin of tripoli and yes, I'll keep posting.

oummLeen said...

dea ghariani , u were inspired my khadisha , and i was inspired by you ....
it is the life cycle ... now i hope khadisha may have a look to my bloge .....

StarLit said...

I thank Khadijateri, too...she was one of the people who encouraged me to countine blogging!
and gheriani, you have a nice blog here,keep up the good work.

Omar Gheriani said...

thnx maiuna ... but you know there are days to write and days not to!